Friday, February 5, 2016

How I Create Dimensional Painting with Underglazes on Clay

First I sart with a sketch on the greenware that compliments the body of the vessel

Working from the outer edges in, I  lay 3 washes of color glaze, lightest to darkest, leaving white in the center and shortening the length of the overlay from the outer edges toward to center


Next, I surround  the image with a complimentary or lighter color that will cause the main color to pop!
Next I add in the flat black spots

Then the really fun part. Using a very thin liner brush, I outline all edges and use crosshatching strokes beginning tightly at the outer edges and spreading as they go out.  Lastly, I did a little sgraffito around the edges of the black spots but I forgot to take an "in process" photo of that . You can see the effect on the finished piece below.       

                                            Available on my website. Just click on the image.
http://www.karenolonehahn.com/product/whimsical-white-ceramic-pitcher-hand-painted-cow-ceramic-stoneware-handmade-ceramic-pitcher-


Here's another one, Sadly, it didn't survive the kiln. It had a big "S" crack in the bottom.






Here is how potters feel when they find a piece comes out of the kiln with an "S" crack in it! :


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Karen, I've always admired those of you that could create images like this. My one idk if I get it- is it 3 washes of just one color glaze or underglaze? Ty for the blog and any additional info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, it is 3 washes of the same color. Just remember to go lightest to darkest.

    ReplyDelete