Tuesday, March 11, 2014

How to paint sunflowers with underglazes

I love painting on my pottery. I am beginning to marry my painting skills with creating my handmade pottery more and more these days. I have a particular kind of clay which is made by Laguna (MC65) stoneware that I like to use, because it is very white, almost like porcelain, but not as difficult to work with. Stoneware also has more practical applications. The white clay becomes like a canvas for me. In my latest video, I am demonstrating how I use Amaco velvet under glazes to paint on my bisque ware. Once I have completed the painting, the entire object gets dunked into a clear glaze which gives it a nice shininess and crackly finish on some pieces.

This latest piece dons a couple of happy sunflowers. Enjoy….


No comments:

Post a Comment