Friday, September 7, 2012

Vulcan's Rest Fiber




Here's a shout out to my newest retailer Vulcan's Rest Fibers in Chespeake City, Maryland. All I can say is- adorable. That pretty much sums up the whole town on this idyllic little inlet on Marylands Chesapeake Bay. The town is made up of tiny historic houses on narrow little streets leading from the highway down toward the bay. The streets are lined with quaint little shops and restaurants inside some of the historic houses. There is a sweet (literally) ice cream and dessert shop, a fine dining restaurant and a large waterfront restaurant (The Chesapeake Inn) where the boats dock and the boaters hang out and party and eat a lot of crabs. Once in a while, my husband and I will spend a lazy afternoon wandering in and out of the shops and having a bite and a couple of cocktails while watching the boaters and the seagulls.

On one such day, I wandered into the Vulcan's Rest, located in one of those adorable little houses on George Street. I could not help but be impressed when I walked into this fine shop. Margaret, the owner, is a woman like myself who loves color and variety and it shows. The store is comprised of 4 rooms brimming with yarns and supplies of all persuasions. I am not a knitter but I was taken by all the beautiful colors and textures protruding in skeins from the walls.

The shop also carries books and supplies not just for knitting but for felting (which I just love), needlework,crochet, rug hooking and pretty much any fiber related activity that you might want to get involved in. Margaret also has a great appreciation for other kinds of artists and features some paintings and fabric work by local artists as well as some dynamite looking carved gourds (not the halloween witchy kind) but beautiful, deep patterned and sophisticated designs. Now, I have been brought into the party with my unique yarn bowls.

If you get to Chesapeake City, stop in and have a look around, sign up for a class or peruse the extensive library of books to purchase. You will find very knowledgeable and warm sales people in addition to Margaret who will help you with all of your questions and needs.

106 George Street
Chesapeake City, Maryland 21915

Open everyday 10am to 5pm
Knit Night on Wednesdays 6-9pm
Closed for all major Holidays.

Call us at: 410-885-2890




No comments:

Post a Comment