Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Toddler with Bunny


This one was painted between 1995 and 1996 when my daughter was around 16 months old. It's a very large painting, 24x48 on masonite. As with most new parents, I was in love with my child and being a mom was a totally new feeling and experience, so I wanted to paint her. Along with the joy came her innocent ability to stir up feelings about my own childhood. Also, as with most new parents, I would sometimes feel a great sense of being overwhelmed by this new presence in my life and this accounts for the large size of the painting as well as her appearing as something of a giant between two roofs in the background. She confronts the viewer with her direct gaze making it impossible to ignore her... hmm much like a toddler! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment